prisonernoun [ C ]uk /ˈprɪz.ən.ər/ us /ˈprɪz.ən.ɚ/
Prisoners climbed onto the prison roof to protest the conditions inside the prison. 犯人们爬上监狱屋顶对监狱里的条件表示抗议。
hold/keep/take sb prisoner
- Early this morning, armed police surrounded a house which they thought contained an escaped prisoner.
- Cooped up in a small dark cell, the prisoner hadn't seen daylight for five years.
- Hundreds of prisoners began a fast in protest about prison conditions.
- Arrangements were made to move the prisoners to another jail.
- More than half of all prisoners discharged are reconvicted within two years.