shortagenoun [ C ]uk /ˈʃɔː.tɪdʒ/ us /ˈʃɔːr.t̬ɪdʒ/
B2 a situation in which there is not enough of something缺乏，缺少
- The government's programme to grow cash crops for export is a double-edged sword because it has created a local food shortage.
- There's a shortage of cheap housing in the region.
- Schools nationwide are experiencing a shortage of teachers.
- There's a shortage of cheap accommodation .
- The government admitted that there was a petrol shortage, but warned people against panic buying.