affidavitnoun [ C ]uk /ˌæf.əˈdeɪ.vɪt/ us /ˌæf.əˈdeɪ.vɪt/
Examples from literature
- Formerly, it was customary, on emergencies, for the Judges to swear affidavits at their dwelling-houses.
- He took from the large bundle of papers a single sheet, and, assuming an air of great modesty, read the affidavit.
- It is but a shabby truth that wants an author's affidavit to make it trustworthy.
- Two jurors made affidavit that they never intended a conviction.
- You'll have all the exciting details for an 'exclusive,' to say nothing of the batch of affidavits in the oil scandal.