bolenoun [ C ]uk /bəʊl/ us /boʊl/ literary
Examples from literature
- A regiment might have been hiding behind the boles of the trees without him being one whit the wiser.
- He was stealthy in returning, keeping behind the trees, and slipping softly from bole to bole.
- Its bark was smooth and trim, its bole well set and solid.
- The girl was leaning against the storm-ripped bole of a fallen tree.
- Young tulip-trees about fifteen inches in diameter were cut down and their boles sawed into lengths of three feet.