cabin boynoun [ C ]uk /ˈkæb.ɪn ˌbɔɪ/ us /ˈkæb.ɪn ˌbɔɪ/ old-fashioned
Examples from literature
- He felt glad that he had elected to be a sailor, even though he began as an humble cabin boy.
- I was the oldest, so I went to Belfast and got a billet on board ship as cabin boy.
- Ned Rogers, a "down-east" plucky lad ships as cabin boy to earn a livelihood.
- One day he beat me and I ran away and shipped as cabin boy on a sailing vessel bound for Liverpool.
- There were nine men in the water, while the cabin boy stood shivering on deck.