can openernoun [ C ]uk /ˈkæn ˌəʊ.pən.ər/ us /ˈkæn ˌoʊ.pən.ɚ/ UK also tin opener
Examples from literature
- 'Gene, see if you can open the olives with this fool can opener.
- A man that will invent a can opener that will split open one of these pale, sickly, hard hearted canned peaches, that swim around in a pint of slippery elm juice in a tin can, has got a fortune.
- Emergency supplies should include pots, pans, knives, forks, spoons, plates, cups, napkins, paper towels, measuring cup, bottle opener, can opener, and pocket knife.
- He produced a can opener from the cabin locker and fell to his work on a corner of the hermetically sealed box.
- Pictures would be hung, clocks wound, a number of tin cans would be waiting to be opened with refractory can openers, and there would always be several window blinds that had gone wrong.