carbon dioxidenoun [ U ]uk /ˌkɑː.bən daɪˈɒk.saɪd/ us /ˌkɑːr.bən daɪˈɑːk.saɪd/ symbol CO2
- Plants absorb carbon dioxide during photosynthesis.
- A molecule of carbon dioxide (CO2) has one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms.
- Microbes decompose organic waste into a mixture of methane and carbon dioxide.
- The increased use of natural gas will help reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
- There has been a sudden and worrying rise in the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words