celeritynoun [ U ]uk /səˈler.ə.ti/ us /səˈler.ə.t̬i/ formal
Examples from literature
- Ethan expected to hear the shambling step going away with a celerity proportionate to the importance of the errand.
- Having collected all their forces, with loud whooping and encouraging shouts to one another, they led towards us with great celerity.
- He poured his own drink and shoved the bottles toward his friend, who helped himself with skilful celerity.
- The dog vanished with astonishing celerity, and each guest turned his dish bottom upward to show that all was gone.
- There were two private nurses to wait on me, and they moved with the celerity of antelopes in response to my slightest bidding.