chief justicenoun [ C usually singular ]uk /ˌtʃiːf ˈdʒʌs.tɪs/ us /ˌtʃiːf ˈdʒʌs.tɪs/
Examples from literature
- Cases shall be tried by the King's Council, which included the Chancellor, Treasurer, and chief justices.
- He declined the offer of chief justice of Massachusetts.
- He was chief justice of the United States, and that fact gave additional weight to the mission.
- He was member of Congress, governor of South Carolina, chief justice of Supreme Court.
- In a corner of the room, thrown carelessly upon a chair, were the scarlet robes of the chief justice.