cisternnoun [ C ]uk /ˈsɪs.tən/ us /ˈsɪs.tɚn/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- From this cistern large earthen pipes led off in various directions to irrigate the terraces below.
- In the midst of this court is a cistern, simply ornamented.
- Latterly, he adds, deep wells had been sunk, and cisterns formed for holding water.
- Their cisterns, their only dependence for water, were mostly destroyed.
- They discovered microbes in the well, and mosquitoes in the cistern, and wasps in the garret.