detectivenoun [ C ]uk /dɪˈtek.tɪv/ us /dɪˈtek.tɪv/
a private detective
- Her new detective series will be her debut on the small screen.
- She hired a private detective to find out if her husband was having an affair.
- A private detective has apparently unearthed some fresh evidence.
- The detective on the case has been suspended from duty.
- During the investigation, two detectives assumed the identities of antiques dealers.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: