deterrentnoun [ C ]uk /dɪˈter.ənt/ us /dɪˈter.ənt/
a nuclear deterrent
- Some people say that capital punishment acts as a deterrent.
- Drink-driving is one case where severe punishment seems to work as a deterrent.
- I should think the smell of her breath must act as a deterrent to any man.
- They executed him, as a deterrent to any other young soldiers thinking of trying to desert from the army.
- As a deterrent, they have imposed a heavy fine for late payment.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
adjective uk us
a deterrent effect