diureticnoun [ C ]uk /ˌdaɪ.jəˈret.ɪk/ us /ˌdaɪ.jəˈret̬.ɪk/ specialized
adjective uk us
Examples from literature
- Diuretics are medicines which increase the flow of urine by their action upon the kidneys.
- Even in much less doses, it was a powerful diuretic.
- It is a diuretic, and may be prescribed with advantage in some kidney troubles.
- It was known what substances served as laxatives and diuretics.
- Red onions are an excellent diuretic, and the white ones are recommended raw as a remedy for insomnia.