drum majornoun [ C ]uk /ˌdrʌm ˈmeɪ.dʒər/ us /ˌdrʌm ˈmeɪ.dʒɚ/
Examples from literature
- A hundred yards away, to the right, an officer walked backwards with an automatic pistol balanced on his finger, smiling, pulling his men along like a drum major.
- I have seen pupils, trying to master the art of breathing, holding themselves as rigidly as drum majors.
- The father was strutting with all the importance of a drum major.
- Wise kings wear shabby clothes, and leave the gold lace to the drum major.
- With the heavy club he gave his wires a sure test, and between sections, first in play, afterward to keep his circulation going, he had acquired the skill of an expert drum major.