elmnoun [ C or U ]uk /elm/ us /elm/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- A mile farther he came suddenly upon the house, standing amid the grove of elms, dwarfed by the giant trees that arched above it.
- A wide campus surrounded the two buildings, shaded by elm and oak trees.
- It was a huge square of oak timbers, with a detached kitchen, sheltered by giant elms.
- It was bordered on each side by the most beautiful elm trees, and as it was leading in the right direction we determined to follow it.
- The moonlight was golden between the heavy shadows of the elms.