fountainnoun [ C ]uk /ˈfaʊn.tɪn/ us /ˈfaʊn.tɪn/
- There was a picture of the Trevi fountain on the front of the book.
- They also sell garden ornaments such as statues and fountains.
Examples from literature
- The stories said that water from this fountain was good for people.
- Half of it was shut in by a huge, castle-like structure, which with its carved stone fountain gave the place almost a medieval air.
- He glanced at her face, musing and wondering, inhaling the sweet, intoxicating odours of the flowers and listening to the tinkling of the hidden fountain.
- It was a scorching afternoon in August, but there was some cooling comfort in seeing the dancing water of the fountains sparkling so brightly in the sunshine.
- The fortress is built above the fountain, in the middle of the city.
- The water spills over from the fountain into ferns and flowers banked within a marble curb.